I love how versatile sweet potatoes are, there so many uses for them- even sweet potato brownies! When it comes to having a baked potato, sweet potatoes are much more exciting than regular spuds! My homemade paprika spiced baked beans compliment the sweet potato very well. Serve with a side salad for an enjoyable lunch.
When it comes to baking the potatoes, I like to start them off in the microwave to speed up the cooking. You can fully bake them in the oven if you like, though. You will need a stick blender for this recipe, I use a Kenwood one.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ a red pepper, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Worchester sauce/vegan Worchester sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil (or use fresh basil if you have some)
- salt and pepper to season
- 2x 400g tins haricot beans, drained and washed
- 4 sweet potatoes (roughly 200g each)
- Optional, side salad
This recipe serves four, but you can keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat for lunch the next day.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Pierce each potato a few times with a fork. Place the potatoes onto a microwavable plate, and put in the microwave for 8 minutes on high
- When the 8 minutes are up, transfer the potatoes to the oven to crisp up their skins
- Put the onion and garlic into a medium-sized saucepan with a little bit of oil, and fry on a medium heat for two minutes. Add the carrot and pepper, and fry for a further two minutes
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, Worchester sauce, vinegar and 150ml of boiling water to the pan
- Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the salt, sugar, ground pepper and basil. Be sure not to add too much salt, you can add more, but not take away!
- Remove from the heat for a minute, and blitz with a stick blender. Add extra water if it is too thick
- Return to the heat, and add the haricot beans. Bring back up to temperature for a couple of minutes to heat the beans up
- Check the seasoning, and more salt and pepper if required
- By this time the sweet potatoes should be cooked, remove from the oven
- Serve and enjoy!